Sunday, October 31, 2010

Removing some dead trees


I had a Wattle tree that was half dead and an Oak Tree, that was alive with European Wasps, and had a lot of dangerous limbs on it and wanted to get them both removed. Spoke to a few people about their removal, and between threatening to take out the garage, or the fence or both, people didn’t want to touch them. Then there was the person who wanted to get a cherry picker into the backgarden and wasn’t keen even then, so I asked around some more, and three of the loveliest local guys came, and removed both trees with no need for a cherry picker at all.
When I arranged this at beginning of week, was asked to prepare lunch for them, so I said "Of Course" thinking BBQ then discovered they are vegans and thought "Oh dear" but did a bean and vegetable soup, veggie strips and dip, asparagus spears, Lunch and Tea was fantastic, and even better was watching the guy go up and down, and round the tree on a rope, it was fascinating.

Did have a bit of light relief when someone came running down the block behind me to enquire if I had a council permit to remove the trees. They were laying on the ground at this point, so I politely asked him if he had a tube of super glue... and obviously he hadn't as he walked off at that point...lol.

My Partner and myself had possibly one of the most interesting meals ever with them, as they shared their views on forest management and protesting in the area. Must say that the dreadlocks and dress would have made me a bit apprehensive if I had come across them elsewhere, but just proved you should never judge a book by its cover, they were  most well mannered, polite and a total joy to be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment