Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Chickenrun

Well my partner wanted to keep chickens……I don’t really think so was my intial response, and then thought well, everyone should have a hobby!
The next door neighbour offered us his old chook pen. We
had to dismantle and reassemble it, Partner is just a little stubborn and assured me WE could manage it.....I am saying NO I am sure if I ring a friend they will come and help, extra pairs of hands make light work, just as he heaved the crowbar into one of the supporting beams for the roof, anyway we got the roof so it was on the ground and sort of standing on its end, and roughly leaning against the fence, one would think safely out of the way........wouldn't one?
Well, How did you guess? The flipping thing got caught by the wind, just as I heaved what was once the support post out of the ground. The roof landed on me, and also knocked elderly stubborn partner off his feet to the ground.
Having ascertained he was ok, I did well, I refrained from "I Told you so" threw support post over fence to my place, and decided the British background came to the fore, and made a nice cup of tea.....lol
As you may guess, I am just slightly over the chook pen, the flipping thing still has to be erected at my place......AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!


I then had a cuppa with friend the next morning, and regaled her with the story so far....we laughed, and I said that as partner fell over, and I was trying to hold post, dodge roof, the other thought that went through my mind was the coroners report will read killed by flying chook house roof!
So friend and her hubby came over and we moved the two roof bits, and the assorted woodwork, posts, wire etc to my place.  Friend’s husband looked over the chook house so far at my place....and announced "Oh, it looks like you don’t have a spirit level" I assured him this was a minor technicality...and smiled.
He did go so far as to say "it is very sturdy" which I took to mean will take me more than half an hour to knock down sometime in the future.
After Lunch, darling partner took himself off to work on the posts and rails, and nail wire to the run section....called for my help, which I didn’t mind, there he is, nailing the wire in place, I am holding the wire so it doesn’t move, and he goes bang, bang, bang with the hammer and next thing his trousers are round his ankles, and I am almost doubled up cos I couldn’t stop laughing....apparently I am no earthly use, and didn’t have to help him after that...cant help bad luck can ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment