Friday, August 7, 2020

My love of Reading - Where it started.

 


Saw this post on Facebook... and below is my response in first paragraph.


Mum, when I was little read to me each evening, I especially remember her reading The Water Babies to me. I also remember a small booklet Sunny stories which had a variety of kiddy friendly stories in it, I progressed to books - My childhood favourites were any books by Enid Blyton from Noddy, Famous Five, Secret Seven, The Naughtiest Girl series, Mallory Towers school series. My Pop used to buy me my comics Judy, Bunty, etc and I followed series like The Four Marys. It was not long before I had a library card and was borrowing books for adults at around the age of 10.

I remember visiting a library with you which wasn’t far from home, I think it was just one room (like a corner shop) with floor to ceiling bookshelves.  I remember borrowing Jean Plaidy books (historical fiction) and you borrowing books by Lucy Walker.

I think this small library must have closed down, because I remember going to a larger library near Granthorald park (I think)

Below is one of my favourite quotes regards reading… and it is true…lol

“I've travelled the world twice over,
Met the famous; saints and sinners,
Poets and artists, kings and queens,
Old stars and hopeful beginners,
I've been where no-one's been before,
Learned secrets from writers and cooks
All with one library ticket
To the wonderful world of books.”


― 
Janice James

 

I have the full collection of Maeve Binchy books, also Josephine Moon books. I love books by Cathy Kelly, Catherine Alliott, Patricia Scanlan and Margaret Dickenson whose books are set in the countryside around my home town.

As kids we had great examples set us as I remember Dad disappearing to the loo with a book (usually a western by Zane Grey) and I remember Pop Bill loving his books too especially Navy and boat themed ones.

 

Lucky for me Michael is an avid reader too, so when I catch up on my reading there are a few of his books I will borrow.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment